Meturgeman

"May your ears hear what your ears are hearing"

If you are new to my blog, I suggest you start with my introductory post, The Story of the Meturgeman

NEW EMAIL! Contact me at tzvianolick (at) meturgeman (dot) info

Name:
Location: Kochav Yaacov, Israel

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Mazal Tov, I'm Eirev Rav

The owner of another blog recently posted a request to his posters to tone down the invective; he said we should direct our anger at the eirev rav, not at each other. I posted a response that nothing would change; each person would define anyone who doesn't agree with him or her as eirev rav and go on hating. Within hours, to prove my point, someone posted this:

'"...anyone who does not participate in the battle against the Erev Rav becomes, de facto, a partner with the k'lipah of the Erev Rav, and was better off not being born in the first place." (Kol HaTor, Chapter 2, Section 2, Letter 'bais')'

I don't and won't battle against the eirev rav; and I refuse to define any Jew as a non-Jew because I don't like them. I guess that means this person is calling me eirev rav; I'm not overly surprised and actually somewhat pleased, in a dark sort of way.

(There IS a point to statements from various gedolim about eirev rav, Givonim, and so on, which I will probably bring up again, but the point is NOT to take away the Jewishness of anyone, but to remind us all that being a Torah-true Jew as Hashem intended involves far more from us each second of our lives than just the fact that we were born of a Jewish mother or converted by a Beit Din.)

This accusation had definite implications in Jewish law. First of all, as it says, I have to be battled against. Once I am defeated, I would have to be offered 3 choices: become a Ger Toshav (Ben Noach) and stay in Israel, leave the land (Yehudi M'garesh Yehudi, as long as he's redefined as not Yehudi), or die. At least I have options.

And my neighbors had better be warned. I can't count in a minyan anymore, they can't trust my Kashrut, and they can't listen to me layn anymore, among other things. On the other hand, it's always nice to have a Shabbos goy on the block...

If our enemies were smart, they would back off completely...at the rate we're going we will all kill each other off for them in no time.