Meturgeman

"May your ears hear what your ears are hearing"

If you are new to my blog, I suggest you start with my introductory post, The Story of the Meturgeman

NEW EMAIL! Contact me at tzvianolick (at) meturgeman (dot) info

Name:
Location: Kochav Yaacov, Israel

Friday, August 04, 2017

The Midrash says not to kill non-Jews!

I grew up, as I'm sure you did, believing that Moshe Rabeinu was correct and justified in killing the Egyptian taskmaster.  More, we live in a time where many, many "frum" people think it's a great thing to hunt down Palestinian Arabs to kill...and too high a percentage of the rest of the frum people are silent.

Now I learn, from Rav Riskin's weekly video blog, that the Midrash says Moshe should NOT have killed the Egyptian without due process!  And that is the ultimate reason that Moshe was told to stop asking for permission to enter the land!

(Note there is some problem with the YouTube video...it cuts away once and then a part repeats and it seems like some is missing...but ignore that and watch it anyway.)

The purpose of Midrash is to teach us a lesson from Chazal.  I don't think this one needs any additional elucidation.  But especially now, in the hopeful time after Tisha B'Av, we should pay heed to it if we want to speed the Geula.