Meturgeman

"May your ears hear what your ears are hearing"

If you are new to my blog, I suggest you start with my introductory post, The Story of the Meturgeman

NEW EMAIL! Contact me at tzvianolick (at) meturgeman (dot) info

Name:
Location: Kochav Yaacov, Israel

Thursday, May 18, 2017

A tale of two yidn...and ayin hara

This Shabbat we will be reading the shorter Tochecha...and in my shul, at least, the idea of ayin hara is having a strong influence.

As I wrote several years ago, the previous Gabbai in our shul would give me the aliya because he knew I consider it an honor, not a curse.  We took it one step farther...my son, who feels as I do (at least in this matter), was visiting and asked for the aliya even though I was layning.  The Gabbai agreed, and as far as I know the Rav did not object.

Now we have a new administration in my shul.  Once again I am layning the tochecha, and once again my son is visiting and requested the aliya...and was refused. It's important, I was told, for chinuch, that the children see the unbroken tradition of the Ba'al K'riya getting the aliya.

However, I have a very strong suspicion (I have a basis for it, but I can't speak of all the evidence) that the underlying reason is a fear of ayin hara...it's 'bad luck' to be called up for that aliya, and no matter how much someone asks for it it's wrong for them to have it.

So I want to share a story with you...the story of two identical men, Reuvain and Shimon.

Before I start, I want to mention one rock-solid foundation of Jewish belief (even though some people have distorted it in the recent past.)

When Avraham argued with God to save S'dom and Amora (B'reishit 18:17-33), the conclusion is that he WON the argument...the outcome of the debate was the acknowledgement that HaShofet Kol Ha'aretz KEIN Ya'aseh Mishpat...the Judge of all the Earth WILL do Justice.  If some of Hashem's actions seem unjust to us, we just aren't seeing the whole picture.

Back to our friends.  Reuvain and Shimon were both good people, ba'alei midot and loving fathers and husbands, and very much alike in every way.

On this particular day, they were both going on trips...on identical routes, with identical cars and identical loads.  Both had a large amount of cargo tied to their roofs, with identical ropes.  And in each case, one of the ropes was starting to fray...

As they got into their cars to start the trip, they both saw the frayed rope.  Reuvain made a mental note to replace it before his next trip.  Shimon, on the other hand, thought to himself, "I hope it doesn't break."

Uh-oh.  Shimon just "opened his mouth to the Satan."  He tempted the ayin hara.  In secular terms, he invoked Murphey's law.

So does that mean that, during the trip, Shimon's rope is more likely to break?  Nonsense!  The chances are the same for both ropes...the fact that each man expressed his worries about the rope in a different manner makes no difference.  Any other conclusion leads us to the idea that there is no Justice...and I, for one, refuse to believe that.  (Other factors may influence the Divine decision on whether any ropes break, and if so, which...but not it has nothing to do with ayin hara.)

The Tochechot represent to us the millennia of suffering we have endured; and I understand how much it has hurt through the generations; so I understand the growth of the 'bad luck' mythos.  But it is anathema to me...how a part of Hashem's word can be called an ayin hara...ESPECIALLY one that ends with the ringing reaffirmation that this is our B'rit with Hashem.

So I will take the aliya this Shabbat...and even though it is because I am the Ba'al K'riya, I will take it with pride, knowing I am honored to have a share in the signing of our Eternal contract with Hashem.